Odblog: Disaster Movie
Categories: Environmental hazardsThis is for the s4 lesson today. You have been looking at Earthquakes, their causes and impacts with Miss Anwar and Mrs Gordon. Mrs Gordon and I were discussing how to approach your case study for this part of the course and thought it would be good if you learned a little more about Haiti as it's current. For any earthquake case study, you are expected to know certain key things, which I've listed below and should from the basis of your internet research. Try to refine your searchesas there are so many items about Haiti just now, it might be difficult finding what you are after exactly:
1. The cause of the earthquake -this needs to be fairly spcific. Was it at a plate boundary or a fault line? If a plate boundary, which plates, which type of boundary (e.g. destructive) and what exactly happened? Give details about the size of the earthquake, the focus and the epicentre if possible here.
2. How accurate were predictions/preparations? - earthquakes are really difficult to predict, but what had scientists been saying aboutthe likelihood of a big quake in the area. What preventative measures had been taken? Was the area well prepared or not?
3. The impact of the quake on the landscape - This referes to both the physical landscape e.g. sometimes earthquakes will trigger a landslide, for instance, and the human landscape- buildings, communications etc. Lots of examples needed and plenty available here
4. The impact on the people- How many people died,were injured, made homeless? Did the earthquake cause contaminated water supplies and disease? How was industry affected? What about jobs?
For both 3 and 4 you need to think short and long term impacts.
5. What was the relief effort and how effective was it? - Think of short and long term aid, what it was and where it came from, talk figures- how much in donations, grants, what happened in Haiti's case to the national debt? Think of organisations such as Oxfam and the Red Cross-did they have a role, and if so what?
Mrs Gordon asks that you work on this today and next Friday to create your own movies in movie maker, with a class showing and feedback at a later time. I've put a simpler example of a disaster movie from a few years back which an s2 created. Tryb to find music that fits, footage if possible and there will be plenty of images available too, but try and credit your sources.